Friday, July 23, 2010

Deepholm: The Realm of Earth Part One: The Eye of the Storm

This is an episodic article that will write and update as I progress through the newly released zone: Deepholm. Not very much is known about the storyline of Deepholm compared to that of Hyjal and Vashj'ir so I figured that this would be a good way to tell it as I progress thereby leaving the experience and story fresh in my mind compared to my worgen and goblin articles.

So, with Farinar being 82 I decided to go and check out the newly added zone: Deepholm. As with the two previous zones you get a breadcrumb quest in Stormwind City for the alliance or Orgrimmar for the horde. It turns out that the elements are raging and are threatening to tear this world apart. That is why emissaries from the Earthen Ring has been sent to the two major capital cities in order to cry for help. I found Naraat the Earthspeaker located near a circle of stones behind Stormwind Keep.


He tells me to go to The Maelstrom and meet with Thrall who will brief me with the further details. He summons are portal that will be the entrance to Deepholm from Azeroth in case you ever want to go back.


I arrive at the Maelstrom, which looks really epic, as I see Thrall trying to stabilize the elements in the area in order to stop them from tearing the world apart. Thrall tells me that when Deathwing was defeated by the other dragon aspects he fled to Deepholm, the plane of earth. And now he has broken out through the Maelstrom, opening a rift that is threating to tear this world apart if Deepholm collapses into Azeroth. Thrall wants to try and close this rift, but it requires that action is taken within Deepholm to try and close it from the inside. Reluctant, I jump on a gryphon and fly into the fiery core of The Maelstrom. Was this really such a good idea?




However, it turns out that I made it through, thank the light. I appear above the Temple of the Earth, which was Deathwing's resting place. It was through here that he burst out into Azeroth and it is also here that the problem is: A titan constructed stone known as the World Pillar. It was constructed to keep the realm in place as well as keep the magnetic and elemental forces in balance. However, Deathwing's entry into Azeroth shattered this pillar into three fragments. If this pillar is not restored then Deepholm will collapse into Azeroth, tearing it apart and making the cataclysm even more cataclysmic.. And that doesn't sound very nice. So who're you gonna call?


To be continued in Part Two: The Hunt for Abyssion.
- Farinar

No comments:

Post a Comment